© Reuters. Volvo to end diesel production ‘a few months from now’ as carmaker transitions to EVs
Swedish automobile maker, Volvo (OTC:), introduced Tuesday its intention to end production of any remaining diesel fashions by early 2024 as a part of its transition in direction of changing into a totally electrical automobile producer.
“In a few months from now, the last diesel-powered Volvo car will have been built, making Volvo Cars one of the first legacy car makers to take this step,” the Swedish firm mentioned in a press release.
Volvo has dedicated to going absolutely electrical by 2030.
As lately as 2019, the vast majority of vehicles bought by Volvo in Europe had been diesel, however by 2022, they constituted solely 8.9% of the Swedish automaker’s gross sales.
In August, 33% of Volvo’s gross sales consisted of absolutely electrical or hybrid fashions. The firm didn’t present a breakdown for the remaining 67% of combustion-engine fashions, specifying neither the quantity operating on diesel nor these powered by typical gasoline.
The gross sales of diesel fashions in Europe have skilled a pointy decline for the reason that emission-cheating scandal involving Germany’s Volkswagen (ETR:). Car producers have been steadily decreasing the supply of diesel fashions of their product lineups.
In 2015, diesel automobiles made up over 50% of recent automobile gross sales in Europe, however by July, their market share had decreased to simply barely over 14%.